In addition to the leadership positions available through involvement in all the student organizations and clubs, there are additional opportunities through departments and university offices. These positions require a higher level of commitment and in some cases offer stipends.
- Head Staff Applications available in December.
- Proctor Applications available in the Residential Life Office at the beginning of the Easter semester.
- Assistant Proctor Applications available in the Residential Life Office in February.
Greek organizations are governed by the Interfraternity and Intersorority Councils (IFC and ISC). Elections for the Greek Council are, typically, in March each year (see Elected Leaders). Each Greek organization elects their own officers and those officers work collaboratively with IFC and ISC on issues of self-governance.
Pre-Orientation/Sewanee Outing Program
- PRE-Orientation Intern /Student Director Application Process begins in February. Contact person: John Benson in the Outing Program Office.
- PRE-Orientation Staff Applications for PRE-Staff are available in March in the Sewanee Outing Program Office.
- SOP Trip Leaders Application Process/Available throughout the year, contact John Benson in the Outing Program Office.
- Student Directors Application available in the SOP Office.
- Summer Trail Crew (two positions). Process begins March, contact John Benson for details.
Outreach Trip Leaders
Student Coordinators needed for Spring Break Trips to Costa Rica, Jamaica, New York, New Orleans, Miami, and Ecuador. Applications available in the Outreach Ministries Office in early September.
Emergency Medical Services provides full emergency medical and non-emergency medical care to Sewanee and surrounding areas year round. The service is composed of both students and community members who are licensed Emergency Medical Technicians by the State of Tennessee. To be considered for the Service, all interested parties must successfully complete the EMT course offered at Sewanee and undergo a rigorous selection process.
The Fire Department is responsible for fire protection in Sewanee and the surrounding area. While anyone interested can go through the fire classes one has to be selected to serve the department since there are limited spots available and a minimum requirement of necessary technical skills and intellectual aptitude.
Elected by students in the general Student Assembly/Order of Gownsmen election then approved by the University's Trustees. Student government and Order of Gownsmen positions are elected by students in the general election at the end of the year, except for first-year students.
Interfraternity Council Convenor, VP for Rush and IMs, VP for Community Service, and VP for Communication
Elected by the Interfraternity Council. Applications will be available in early March.
Intersorority Council President, VP for Rush and IMs, VP for Community Service, and VP for Communication
Elected by the Intersorority Council. Applications will be available in early March.
Selected by former Head Environmental Residents and faculty advisors. Selection typically occurs in March or April.
Also, the Sustainability Steering Committee is always looking for student leaders to help in the process of guiding the institution's environmental efforts.
Other Leadership Positions
Contact Forbes Mann (931.598.1436) for more information. Selection occurs each semester.
Most student organization leaders are elected in the Easter semester prior to the Activity Fee Process to ensure an effective transition between academic years and student leaders.