Student Activities at Sewanee, through its programs, organizations, and events, coordinates and implements cultural, educational, recreational, and social co-curricular activities that contributes to the University’s purpose of the development of the whole person through a liberal arts education. We do this through:
- Fostering and celebrating the diversity of our community and the world at large;
- Challenging individuals to evaluate their personal and societal values and beliefs;
- Creating gathering places that enhance community life;
- Providing students with extensive opportunities for leadership and citizenship experiences which empower them to take a lead role in the life and mission of the university and surrounding community;
- Creating a supportive and enriching atmosphere which cultivates growth, development, and engagement within our University community.
STUDENT ACTIVITIES BOARD aka "the Board."
A dozen students serve as active members of the Board. which seeks to engage the student community in a wide array of entertainment free of charge. The members of the Board. plan a variety of student activities including the following:
the Board. brings excellent bands to the Mountain every semester for Fall and Spring Party weekends. Past bands include: Ghostland Observatory, the Infamous Stringdusters, and Umphrey’s McGee. the Board. also hosts live music every week at the Tiger Bay Pub.
Almost every month the Board. takes 2 off-campus trips, one to Nashville and one to Chattanooga. Students who participate in these trips are treated to movie nights, mall trips, aquarium visits, etc. We all know that sometimes you just need to get off the Mountain!
the Board. gets down and dirty with Greek Life in April to host Mountain Derby Days. During this weekend of fierce competition, students run 5ks with flying colors, play capture the flag, and water-balloon fights.
Every year the Board. hosts a black-tie cocktail party for students, faculty and administration. It is an excellent opportunity for students to mingle, dance, and imbibe responsibly with their professors and mentors. There’s always an exciting Motown band, so dancing shoes required!
OUR PLANNING AREAS
Recreation, Fitness and Short Courses
the Board. at a Glimpse
- Large Scale Concerts which include our Orientation, Fall, and Spring Concerts
- Outdoor Movies and Bingo Night
- Mountain Top Ball
- Entertainment: Live at the Pub series, Trivia Night at the Blue Chair Tavern
- Short Courses: Bottles & Brushes, Swing Dancing, and Cooking Classes
- Activity based trips: White Water Rafting, Roller, and Ice Skating
- Recreation and Fitness events: themed 5ks, Derby Days
- Entertainment based trips: Dinner Theater, Musicals, and various Sporting Events
The events planned by the Board. vary each semester, so check the calendar, Facebook page, and emails for updates! All events sponsored by the Board are open to all students and are (mostly) free!
Do you like event planning? Interested in joining the Board? Contact Kate to holler!
For further information contact Kate Stucke, Student Activities Coordinator, at email@example.com or ext. 1386.