At the beginning of the 2013 year, the Vice-Chancellor announced several initiatives expressing the University’s commitment to respectful relationships and campus wellness. While many are already achieved or underway, we are excited to make several announcements for the 2014-15 academic year.
- The University’s health and counseling offices will merge together to create the University Wellness Center, which will offer integrated and holistic health care for students, and will also include a comprehensive wellness outreach and education program and a peer health education program.
- The Director for The University Wellness Center will be Dr. Nicole Noffsinger-Frazier. Dr. Noffsinger-Frazier is a clinical psychologist, researcher, community swim coach, wellness educator, and a professor of psychology. She brings an effective blend of clinical skills, educational programs, an in-depth understanding of Sewanee’s student culture, and a personal commitment to wellness.
- Dr. Peggy Farmer, wellness expert, professional speaker, therapist, coach and author, will serve as a consultant to the University to offer specific wellness programs and to help develop a comprehensive student wellness plan.
- The Wellness Center staff in collaboration with student life staff will expand services to include wellness education and health promotion to address critical campus health and relationship concerns.
- Please welcome Dr. Nicky Hilton and Dr. John Jackson, both clinical psychologists, to the wellness staff. Hilton arrives in Sewanee from the University of Delaware, having been trained in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee. Jackson joins us from Athens, Georgia, having been trained at The University of Maryland, and having worked at the University of Georgia.
- Jania Collins, formerly in Residential Life, will also be transitioning into the Wellness Center to provide on-going support and patient scheduling.
This reorganization will allow a team of professionals with varied expertise to join our strong Health Service staff to offer a diverse and comprehensive collection of programs in an integrated fashion. A healthy climate is an endeavor to which our entire community can and should contribute.
Students may now call one main phone number to schedule health or counseling appointments; instead of two offices, there will be only one.
Please congratulate and welcome Dr. Noffsinger-Frazier and Dr. Farmer, Dr. Hilton and Dr. Jackson to Sewanee and our community.