Need Help?

Taking care of yourself is important. College students often face a variety of challenges in the normal course of their time at a highly selective, residential college. The University of the South provides resources to help students face such challenges.

Academic Counseling Services

In case you are having academic difficulties, seek advice from your academic advisors, your teachers, or the deans of students.

Counseling and Psychological Service (CAPS) at the University Wellness Center

The University provides a time-limited professional counseling service for students seeking assistance with concerns of all kinds — academic, social, emotional or interpersonal. Discussions between students and psychologists are confidential and information cannot be disclosed, including to parents, except in rare situations required by law and regulations. CAPS' services are free to University students.

Health Service at the University Wellness Center

Services at the University Health Service are provided by a nurse practitioner (a registered nurse with a master’s degree and advanced clinical training) and a physician.   UHS is able to provide the following types of services:

    • Obtain medical histories and perform physical examinations.
    • Diagnose and treat both acute and chronic health problems.
    • Order and interpret diagnostic studies such as lab work and x-rays.
    • Prescribe and recommend medications.
    • Provide health counseling and education and more.
    • Offer consultations and referrals.

Support for Substance Abuse or Addiction

The University has both policies and resources to support students struggling with substances issues. Our comprehensive strategy, Think First, is designed to help students make healthier choices; embedded in our efforts are opportunities for personal counseling and assessment, a group support system, and meaningful healthy social alternatives. To refer someone or for more information, please contact the University Wellness Center's Counseling and Psychological Service (CAPS) at 931.598.1325 or the Associate Dean of Students at 931.598.1109.