Health Insurance FAQ
Call University Health Services at 598.1270.
The University Health Service is staffed by a physician, two nurse practitioners, a registered nurse, a medical assistant, and an office coordinator. Nurse practitioners are daily providers at the Health Service. Our physician is available for consultation and is in the office one day a week. Nurse practitioners are advanced practice health care providers who are trained at the graduate or doctorate level in the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions. UHS provides the following types of services:
- Obtain medical histories and perform physical examinations.
- Diagnose and treat both acute and chronic health problems.
- Order and interpret diagnostic studies such as lab work and x-rays.
- Prescribe and recommend medications.
- Provide health counseling and education.
Services provided at UHS include, but are not limited to, evaluation and treatment of:
- All respiratory infections, viral and bacterial, which include sinusitis, strep throat, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma
- Urinary tract infections
- Dermatologic conditions
- Gastrointestinal disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Minor suturing
- Allergy injections
- Pap smears
- Routine gynecological exams
- Contraception and counseling
- STD testing and counseling
- Pregnancy testing
- Breast care/self-examination education
- Rapid strep throat testing
- Urine testing
- Influenza testing
- Pregnancy testing
Lab work and imaging studies not available at the health service can be performed at Emerald-Hodgson Hospital, which is located on campus beside UHS, or other hospitals in the area.
Health education on various topics is available to all students and can be requested either individually or by a group. Programs have included information on nutrition, eating disorders, sexuality issues, and smoking cessation.
Other Services Provided
Travel vaccines can be provided to students. Some insurance covers the cost of these vaccines; if your insurance does not cover them, the student will incur the cost, which can be added to the student account. We do not provide all travel vaccines. Please call to inquire about this at 598.1270.
- Tetanus vaccine in case of injury
- Meningitis vaccine available
- Hepatitis B
- Tuberculosis screening
- Flu vaccines