When I am feeling challenged by a disability

Assistance at Sewanee for Students with Learning Disabilities, Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders, or Other Disabilities

Sewanee: The University of the South is committed to fostering respect for diversity and the individual rights of each member of our community.  In this spirit, the University provides disabled students with reasonable accommodations needed to ensure equal access to the school's programs and activities.

Assistance for Students with Learning Disabilities & Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders

Support services for students with LD/ADHD at Sewanee are coordinated through the University Wellness Center - Counseling and Psychological Service (CAPS). The office is located at 1310 University Avenue, next to the local hospital, and can be contacted at 931-598-1325.

CAPS' psychologists are also able to refer to local professionals if a student suspects he or she may have an LD/ADHD and is need of a formal evaluation.  For more information about the academic accommodation application process, please see our FAQ page.

Assistance for the Medically Disabled

Students seeking assistance based upon a medical disability must submit appropriate diagnostic documentation related to the disability to and meet with the University Health Service staff.  After review of submitted materials, decisions will be made about accommodations, if appropriate, in consultation with the Associate Dean of the College or the Dean of Students.

Assistance for the Physically Disabled

The location of some campus offices may be inaccessible to some disabled students. These students should check with the Office of the Dean of Students to obtain help reaching personnel in the necessary offices.